Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The People Get What the People Want?

How else does one explain the existence of bad products and services? Is it herd mentality? Are a lot of people just too apathetic or dumb? I've always wanted to educate consumers, intially in terms of music and movies when I've worked in those industries and latterly in respect of any passionately conceived product or service.

That's why I can't sell anything I don't believe in and since, as you may have noticed, I'm incredibly critical that means that I don't recommend very much. But, sometimes, I wonder whether it actually makes a difference. Is there some immutable inertia that generally rebuffs such efforts and allows pervasive mediocrity to prevail?

Why does that happen? If we could answer that question, I am sure huge insights would follow. But the tough questions are tough for a reason.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that it went with the lyrics to that Jam song: "The public wants what the public gets". (Eton Rifles, I believe.)

That explains all sorts of things, from the winners of Popstars (remember that, and them?) to the surfeit of reality shows.

Almost everyone consumes more content than they generate. Therefore, you'll take what you can get a lot of the time. This applies to more essential things like food too: how many people would know how to make a loaf of bread or keep chickens?

4:23 AM, April 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home