Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sock It To Me

I have written before about my doubts of the value of trade shows. One aspect that has always puizzled me, as someone who refuses to wear logoed T shirts, has been the benefit of the promotional freebies which inevitably get distributed to friends' kids or dumped in the bin.

So, imagine my surprise this morning when grabbing for a pair of black socks from the drawer, to find myself handling a freebie. I recallled being bemused to receive them as a thankyou for attending the company's stand at a show (a show I was attending solely because it shared its venue with a marketing conference that had forced me to flee its mind-numbing talks).

Now socks may be a common freebie, but I've never encountered them and couldn't see their relevance. But they're OK socks, the tiny logoes on them won't be seen by anyone and I was immediately reminded of the company because I have to concentrate on the top of socks when I put them on. Sly devils.

And perhaps it's no surprise that the company involved was the one which used their trade show presence the most impressively - giving a brief involving and pithy demonstration that demonstrated a series of true customer benefits. In all my interactions with them, even though I'm not a potential customer, I've come away with a view of Securetest as a company that pays attention to detail in every sphere of its operation. Now that's what I call good marketing.

6 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

the flaw in the sock design...
some people (like me)
a) do not have coffee until after they have dressed.
b) do not remember/compute a thing until they have caffeine in their system.
c) are probably drunk/incapacitated when the socks come off

either way, it's a thousand times better than fridge magnets (a domestic invisibility) and t-shirts (god-awful).

12:13 PM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

I'm not sure what worries me most - the fact that you drink coffee or the fact that you party in your socks.

12:47 PM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger kaylen said...

1) coffee & cohibas. they are my delicious vices.

it is nearly impossible to find a decent coffee bean in the UK. i will assume your worry stems from there. i lived in seattle. i order my coffee in. it is damn good coffee.

2) it depends on the party. and it depends on the socks. i invest in some pretty hot socks & leggings.

5:31 PM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

My uncle, the coffee trader might demur on that one, but my concern was more to do with someone I'd imagined to be a real live-wire needing (regardless of footwear) stimulants to help leap from bed into the day.

3:29 AM, June 18, 2006  
Blogger kaylen said...

oh, is that the case..

well, if that's what i am, i am certainly not a live-wire to begin with. i am intensely confused and mumbly. then grumpy. stage two is me, sitting and being intensely confused/grumpy, by myself. with my paper and my pot of coffee.

it's fair to say that the 'live-wire' impression you get is my more internal live-wire, and ..already under the influence of caffeine. well. i like vitamins too. they help...

and no offense to your uncle. it wasn't impossible ... just difficult. i also didn't know any locals with recommendations. maybe that makes all the difference.

11:10 AM, June 18, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

Methinks you're underselling the echolalias brand.

12:30 PM, June 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home