Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

We Give Good Meeting.

I read this mind-boggling comment on Scoble's post about Second Life.

"I didn’t get Second Life either…but now an organization that I’m a part of is holding meetings in there. SL allows them to include and reach out to people who aren’t able to attend these frequent meetings physically. Yes, you could have a phone or web conference but SL provides a richer experience."

I couldn't help wondering how their employment codes would deal with the type of richer experience detailed in this Sunday Times piece about it, where one resident enthuses that “Already, on my short travels there, I’ve.. . had several types of sex that I wouldn’t THINK of doing in real life”

I'm all for richer experiences, but I think the prime aim for meetings should be to make them much shorter experiences.



P.S. I wish people (usually people without much business sense) would stop using the phrase business model to ascribe some sort of economic wisdom to a situation. Other people may be trying to overlay their own theories on where virtual interaction might lead, but that has nothing to do with Second Life's business model. That is predicated upon getting people to participate in their virtual world and that's it!

1 Comments:

Blogger ann michael said...

There have been some great posts about this on Richard Charkin's (CEO Macmillan) blog.

http://charkinblog.macmillan.com/PermaLink,guid,e152980b-ec6f-4635-803d-0cb2b52c235a.aspx
http://charkinblog.macmillan.com/PermaLink,guid,6b306348-ea47-4235-b88b-a499824e5e1c.aspx

Good links in there too. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. I try to be open-minded, but I just don't know about this one. My husband also sent me to this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

5:20 AM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home