Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Provocative Comments.

Specifically something from Kathy's comments.

Being provocative is a no brainer to me. It's about challenging the status quo and pushing to the edges but one commenter raises the question of whether you should be provocative for the sake of it or choose your moment to be provocative. Neither are good in my book. The former is just antagonistic while the latter is a compromise.

I advocate thinking provocatively and saying what follows from that. Does it matter if you end up being thought of as "that asshole Bob"? I guess that depends on your skin's thickness, your self-assurance and most of all who it is who ascribes that title to you.

I'll sum it up by saying one man's asshole is another man's inspiration and hope you all know what I mean by that.

1 Comments:

Blogger ann michael said...

Every time I read that last line, I just lose it. I just showed my husband (who stays far away from all things "blog") and he even said that statement was brilliance! Bob Sutton would love it too - have you been to his blog?

He wrote a book called The No Asshole Rule.

http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/08/online_asshole_.html

2:59 PM, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home