Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Rigidity Of The Geeks.

Over the past few days, the blogosphere has largely reverted to its primordial incarnation as the playground of the geeks. There have been interesting debate and wonderful acts of humanity not to mention all manner of prescriptive projections of future human behaviour (predicated upon technology of course).

However, my ultimate take-away has been a reminder of the rigidity of geek thinking. Perhaps it’s down to their technical detail-orientation, but it’s remarkable to see the virulent reaction of a geek to another person’s argument if it doesn’t correlate exactly with their own worldview.

As we move toward marketing 2.0 or the new marketing, the lesson, of course, is that despite their volume, the geeks are not the majority. There’s a lot of inspiration to be gleaned and ideas to be considered, but it’s not the early adopters who ultimately shape the future. It’s the people who use stuff who do that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I have nothing to say about this post [and whilst I used to HATE sprouts, now I sort of have a nostalgic love for them] ... I just wanted to wish you a Happy New Year and hopefully [at least for me] we'll get to meet up sometime in '08!

All the best ...

R

11:22 PM, December 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Geeks rule!

7:23 AM, December 28, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

Rob - I'll see what Emah says about that but as long as meeting up involves copious entrtainment budgets I'm sure that thi will happen.

Chrissy - You have much to learn.

11:04 AM, December 28, 2007  
Blogger Matt Wardman said...

>Over the past few days, the blogosphere has largely reverted to its primordial incarnation as the playground of the geeks.

Sorry, John - I find that sweeping. If you can survey the entire blogosphere, I am very impressed, but I haven't noticed - for example - the Sudanese bloggers I read about the political situation in Sudan suddenly all writing about Facebook and Flickrfan.

Perhaps you need to get out more?

Cheers and Have a varied 2008.

Matt Wardman

12:47 PM, December 28, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

Fair point Matt - I did use the qualifier "largely" but I was being lazy. I was of course talking about how it was the geeky area of my experience of the blogosphere that had maintained its voice while the non-geeks had dropped away to enjoy their fortunately peaceful, familial, real world.

Sadly the Sudanese bloggers do not figure on the most widely read elements of the blogosphere. The majority of the loudest voices remains technology-oriented and my point was exactly in line with your advice - namely that the majority of the real world gets out more.

1:58 PM, December 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home