Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Missing The Bus.


So, let me get this right. I could buy a coffee for £3, but rather than do that I should buy one of your £3 coach tickets and travel to an unspecified location where I can then spend some more money to buy a coffee I could have bought some hours ago?

Isn't the point of travel to enable you to do something you couldn't do where you were? Isn't the point of this example that marketers should always ensure that they and their media contractors know what it is that they're selling?

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Back in pedantic mode eh Mr Dodds?

I get your point, but it's an ad - and quite a nice one interms of tone, so I find it far less offensive than being told by Hugo Boss that if I buy some of their overpriced 'pong water' I will have to beat them off with a shitty stick.

To be honest, the only thing I'd complain about with this ad is that there isn't anywhere in the UK that sells coffee for 3 quid - unless they are claiming they'll take you to Turkey and if that's the case, then this represents the bargain of the century!

Don't get nasty at me - you started it :)

1:44 AM, November 13, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

Yes, I'm being pedantic. This is not the only ad they're running, but it is the only one I've seen so far that confuses itself. The others correctly focus on an abstract sense of where they can take you, this one gets hung up on buying coffee and is therefore bad.

2:44 AM, November 13, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

Not as bad as 3 quid for a cup of Nescafe!

3:40 AM, November 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home