Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Monday, December 07, 2009

You Heard It Here First.



The Nokia store that I criticised on this blog back in April and August of 2008 is to close.

In this report, it is claimed that the failure of the £4 million investment was because "the store may have proved a little “extravagant” in terms of cost". No, it was because you couldn't use the phones. And worse than that, it was just a store.

Addendum: The Apple store across the street continues to flourish, but I notice that the staff are getting a little more officious. I recently witnessed people being dissuaded from using computers to check their email because this is an "iphone activation area". Are they in danger of becoming just a store? Not yet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alexandra Suhner Isenberg said...

Maybe the apple store continues to flourish, but to be honest, it is a pain in the ass if you actually want to go in there and buy something. I went in to buy a laptop, and the staff couldn't show me any because they were all being used by randoms off the street checking their emails. I asked if they could ask someone to move, but they said no. So I stormed off and bought my computer online instead, not that they lost a sale, but it was really annoying. Fine, let people hang out in the store, and use the computers, but when a customer wants to see one, make sure there are some available. It is a store after all.

8:23 AM, December 08, 2009  
Blogger john dodds said...

That's an excellent point Alexandra - the occasion to which I referred was one when there were a lot of stations free. But you are absolutely right. Paying customer must take pre-eminence.

I have also seen them politely move people on when a real customer needs service and am surprised this didn't happen for you.

12:49 PM, December 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home