Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Customer Service Insight.

Tonight, amongst other nonsense, I heard a creative director declare that twitter could be a great customer service tool. No it can't. It can be a great customer mood monitor, it can be a great way to field customer complaints, but that's not what we should understand as customer service.

Customer service is what happens throughout your contact with the customer. If you do it right, you shouldn't need to have a Twitter presence because your customers will be happy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous katy said...

I disagree. I've got some brilliant customer service from brands via Twitter and every time I was exceptionally glad that the brand was able to be contacted via Twitter as it was much easier for me than phoning / emailing them via their website, and I got a speedy response. eg. I tweeted @S2H to ask them where I could download a copy of the instruction booklet as I lost mine. They gave me the link to the PDF. Happy days. I wasn't using it as a means of complaining, but for a genuine customer service query. They delivered. Has been similar for many other brands. You can have a query without being a dissatisfied customer!

8:54 AM, November 15, 2010  
Blogger Eaon Pritchard said...

hmm. a bit scathing.
It can be part of a service structure to deal with small things fast. and thats a win-win.

2:09 PM, November 15, 2010  
Blogger john dodds said...

@katy @eaon

I wrote that "you shouldn't need to have a Twitter presence" - I didn't mean to suggest that you shouldn't have one.

In line with the previous post, I agree with you both. You need to be where the customers are going to be. It's just better for all concerned if you can pre-emptively ensure that they're going to be in a good mood.

3:38 PM, November 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home